25 November 2011

Snapshot of a Great Horned Owl.

I took a few snapshots of a Great Horned Owl at my place of employment today. I generally keep an eye out for birds and always get jazzed when seeing anything out of the ordinary. 

It's not just birds, either. Flora and fauna alike contribute greatly to that 'thing' we call sense of place, even in the city. Perhaps especially in a city.

This particular bird roosts in a pine tree maybe 100 yards from the edge of University Bay, on Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisc. There are some wooded sections along the nearby shoreline, including the well-known "Picnic Point" which has its own storied and prehistoric past.

On the ground below I saw evidence that this fella had been feasting on something like a mouse or other such small furry creature not too long ago. At one point it turned its head all the way around to look behind itself without moving its body. That was cool. My co-workers and I had heard that an owl nested in the courtyard, but had never seen one there. Today, on a whim, I walked over to take a look. I'm glad I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment