18 September 2012

Erica Wheeler's Search for Sense of Place

Performing songwriter Erica Wheeler has spent 20 years as a touring folky and, as it turns out, has a great interest in "sense of place."

She recently wrote about being a "Sense of Place Sleuth" on her blog. In fact her whole website (and career, in many ways) revolves around what she labels "inspiring connections between people and place."

Erica Wheeler, 2012, as pictured on www.ericawheeler.com

"Wherever you live, there is a history, both natural and cultural," writes Wheeler. "And you can discover it through your computer or newspaper, and then just beyond your front door."


If you're in Wisconsin, you can step 'just beyond your front door' to catch a Wheeler live show, in Marshfield on the 20th and in La Crosse the 21st.

Keeping a fresh set of eyes is vital, suggests Wheeler. "You'll find places you never knew about or see familiar places through new eyes." I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to her blog. I read her "Sense of Place Sleuth" post, and it's interesting. I'm going to apply her techniques to the little town where I grew up, because I'm curious if I could ever see it as anything other than the place I'm glad I escaped from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I feel the same way about my hometown.

    Looking at the world anew, "through new eyes," seems an ideal difficult to manifest... but a thing worth striving for.

    ReplyDelete