14 May 2013

Topophilian Art - From a Michigander in Brooklyn.

From one Topophilian to another...
"Ben's Horn" by John Tebeau - acrylic & mixed media
on canvas (2011) 16" x 20" - available for sale.
Image used without permission.

I ran across some colorful and fun place-based art by Michigan-born, Brooklyn-based artist John Tebeau.

His "John Tebeau Presents TOPOPHILIA" collection focuses on tavern and restaurant signs. It appears to be ongoing and growing.

Other work mixes pop culture, bright colors, and iconic images, like "Ben's Horn" here.

This work reminds me of old hotel/motel signs I've seen out West. I always want to snap photographs of these signs, even in their typical state of decay.

I found Tebeau the same place I find most anything these days, on Twitter of course.

You can find me there, too: @JTspartz.

No comments:

Post a Comment